Things you'll needIngredients
- 2 cups flour
- 7oz almond paste
- 1 cup sugar, divided (3/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/4 cup butter, softened and divided (1/2 cup and 3/4 cup)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Red and green, water based food coloring
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam, seedless and warmed
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided (3/4 cup and 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chocolate jimmies
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease and line three 9"x13" pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the almond paste, 1/2 cup of the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Beat until no lumps remain, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the butter to the almond paste mixture, and cream together on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the yolks and almond extract to the butter mixture, mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into a large bowl.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the egg whites, and pinch of cream of tartar. Whisk until egg whites are foamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- While the mixer is running on medium, slowly add the 1/4 cup of sugar. Whip the meringue until stiff peaks form.
- In small increments, fold the meringue into the batter.
- Split the finished batter into three bowls evenly. Dye one bowl red, one green and leave one uncolored.
- Pour each batter in a separate prepared baking sheet, and spread them flat and even with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 10 minutes, the let cool completely.
Time to Decorate!
- Remove the cooled and baked cookie layers from the pans. Line one pan with plastic wrap. Flip the green layer facedown into the pan and remove the parchment paper. Spread 1/4 cup of the raspberry jam evenly, all the way to the edge with an offset spatula.
- Flip the white layer facedown onto the raspberry jam, and remove the parchment paper. Spread the rest of the jam onto the top of the white layer all the way to the edges. Flip the red layer facedown on the top.
- Wrap plastic wrap around the stacked cookie.
- Place a second pan on top of the stacked cookie layers and weigh it down evenly with 6 cans to compact it. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap.
- Melt the 3/4 cup of chocolate chips, then pour it over the top of the red layer and spread evenly. Refrigerate 10 minutes for chocolate to set.
- Flip the stacked cookie onto a cutting board and melt the remaining 3/4 cup of chocolate chips. Spread the chocolate evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle the chocolate jimmies all over the top before the chocolate sets.
- Let the chocolate set partially at room temperature, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Trim all four edges of the stacked cookie to create clean, sharp edges. Cut into 54 cookies, 1 1/4" wide, wiping knife with a damp towel in between each cut.
Written By Rosanna Pansino