Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- 1 batch buttercream frosting (tinted pink)
- Fondant: pink, red, black, blue, white and pink
- Ball cake pan (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line and grease the half sphere molds
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Cream together the butter and sugar about 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a tie until fully incorporated. Add the strawberry extract.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix in the strawberry jam then divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely. Level the cakes with a serrated knife.
Time to decorate!
- Slice a little bit of the top of one sphere and place it on a cake board.
- Pipe a thin layer of pink frosting and stack the other half of the sphere.
- Cover the sphere completely with pink frosting and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Using the pink fondant, make two half spheres and place toothpicks to help it stick to the cake.
- For the eyes, cut out different oblong sizes using the black, white and blue fondant to create the eyes.
- For the cheeks, Cut out two pink oblong shapes.
- For the mouth, use the red and pink fondant.
- For the feet, make two round wedged shapes from the red fondant for the feet.
Written By Rosanna Pansino