A white cake recipe from The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook decorated with colorful fondant to look like a snapshot of My Little Pony!
Makes one 10-inch round and one 6-inch round cake
Things you'll need
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 7 egg whites
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon + a pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- ¾ cup salted butter
- Red, white, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pink fondant
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Offset spatula
- 10-inch round cake pan, lined and sprayed
- 6-inch round cake pan, lined and sprayed
- 10-inch round cake board
- 6-inch round cake board
- Small fondant roller
- Large fondant roller
- Fondant tools
- White buttercream frosting in a decorating bag
Let’s get started!
(double the recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- On low speed alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake the 6-inch cake for 45 minutes, and the 10-inch cake for 1 hour.
Time to decorate!
- Trim the tops of the cakes using a cake leveler and then cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers. Assemble on a cake board, spreading frosting between each layer (PICTURE at 7:30).
- Cover the cakes with a crumb coat layer of frosting and then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out light blue fondant about ¼ inch thick and then cover the 6-inch cake (PICTURE at 8:52). Use a knife to remove any excess.
- Roll out green fondant to ¼ inch thick and then cover the 10-inch cake (PICTURE at 9:16). Cover a 10-inch cake board in green fondant.
- Place the 10-inch cake on the cake board. Use large straws as support to stack the 6-inch cake on top of the 10-inch cake.
- Use colored fondant to create a rainbow, trees, bushes, apples, clouds, and cutie marks (PICTURE at 3:36).
- Place fondant pieces and pony figurines on the cake to create a scene (PICTURE at 10:09).
- TaDa! Friendship is magic, and so is this My Little Pony Cake!