A simple homemade marshmallow recipe from The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook: These Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers will keep your holidays warm and sweet!
Yield varies upon preference
Things you'll need
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups light corn syrup
- ¾ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 4 envelopes gelatin
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Baking spray
- Mini chocolate chips
- Orange gummy candies
- Stand mixer
- Medium saucepot
- Candy thermometer
- Baking sheets lined with parchment and sprayed well
- Small offset spatula
- Rubber spatula
- 3 -inch round cutter
- Small snowflake cutter
- Small hand sifter
- Small bowl for powdered sugar
- Mugs for hot cocoa
- Cutting board and knife
Let's get started!
- Spray a cookie sheet well, line with parchment paper and then spray well again.
- Pour ¾ cup water into a bowl and then add the gelatin. Let it bloom.
- In a small pot mix sugar, corn syrup, and ¾ cup water over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add a candy thermometer and continue cooking until the sugar mixture reaches 238°F.
- Transfer gelatin mixture to a stand mixer. On a low speed, slowly pour the sugar mixture. Add salt, then gradually increase the speed to high, beating until stiff, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Smooth the mixture into a prepared pan and let set 3 hours.
- Turn the marshmallows onto a powdered sugar surface and use an oiled cutter to cut out the rounds and the snowflakes.
- Cut gummy candies into triangles for the noses of the snowmen.
- Attach the chocolate chips and cut gummy candies to the top of the snowmen.
- Toss the snowflakes in some powdered sugar so they don’t stick.
- Serve in a cup of hot chocolate.