This Minecraft Cake is three tiers of eggnog cake with pretzel arms and fondant buttons. Jordan Maron joins Rosanna Pansino on Nerdy Nummies to help make a shorn Snow Golem!
Makes one 8-inch square, one 6-inch square, & one 4-inch square cake
Things you'll need
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 6 tablespoons milk
- White frosting
- Black fondant
- Pretzel rods
- Hand mixer with beater attachments
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 4, 6, & 8-inch square cake pans, lined with parchment
- White frosting in decorating bag
- Offset spatula
- Small square cookie cutter
- Small fondant roller
- Large straws
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, rum and vanilla extract, vegetable oil, cream and milk.
- Add butter and mix on a low speed until soft crummy texture forms and then scrape down sides.
- Add half the wet mixture, and mix for 1 ½ minutes. Scrape the sides and add the remaining wet mixture in two parts, scraping between each addition.
- Divide the cake batter into two 8-inch pans and one 6-inch pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Bake enough cakes so that you have six 8-inch and four 6-inch. Cut two of the 8-inch cakes into four pieces so that you have eight 4-inch cakes (PICTURE at 5:43).
Time to decorate!
- Pipe a dollop of frosting onto a cake board and then place an 8-inch cake onto the board. Stack the 8-inch cakes on top of each other, spreading frosting in between each layer.
- Once all of the 8-inch cakes are stacked, use an offset spatula to lightly coat the top and sides with white frosting. Refrigerate the cakes for an hour.
- Remove cakes and use an offset spatula to frost them with a thicker coat of white frosting.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3 with the 6-inch and 4-inch cakes.
- Cut 4 straws to the height of the 8-inch cake stack and then stick them in to reinforce the cake stack (PICTURE at 8:23).
- Place the 6-inch cake stack on top of the 8-inch. Reinforce the 6-inch stack and then place the 4-inch stack on top.
- Use a square cookie cutter to make black fondant eyes, mouth, and buttons. Place the pieces in the appropriate areas on the cake (PICTURE at 10:30).
- Stick pretzel rods into the sides of the middle tier of the cake as the snowman’s arms.
- TaDa! A giant Minecraft Cake reveals a Snow Golem's true tasty self!
Rosanna Pansino & Jordan Maron make a Minecraft Shorn Snow Golem Cake.