Things you'll needChocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 24 tablespoons (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Stand mixer
- Two 9” round baking pans
- Cake plate or cake stand
- Piping bags
- Offset spatula
- Gold candles
- Chocolate sprinkles
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the pans with butter and lightly dust with flour. Tap out the excess and set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, add the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Reduce to low speed and slowly add the boiling water.
- Pour the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway to ensure even cooking or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Make the chocolate frosting!
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream the butter and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Beat on high speed for 1 minute. Add a little more milk if the frosting is still too dry.
Assemble the cake!
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, place the bottom layer on a cake stand or plate.
- Spread about 1/3 of the frosting on top and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Place the second layer on top, flat-side down.
- Cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate the cake with the chocolate sprinkles and candles.
Written By Rosanna Pansino