Things you'll needIngredients
- 5 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 large eggs
- 3 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- ¾ cup buttermilk, warmed
- Swiss Buttercream frosting
- Powdered Sugar
- Food coloring: yellow
- Fondant: dark yellow, red, light yellow
- Princess cake pan (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
- 11 ½ inch tall doll
- Grass piping tip
- Flower cookie cutter
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the three princess cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and lemon extract until doubled in volume, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, milk and buttermilk.
- Mix the flour mixture into the egg mixture until well combined, then whisk in the milk mixture until smooth. Vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Fill each pan two-thirds full with batter (using about 3 ½ cups per pan)and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out of the pans onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Level off the top of each cake with a cake leveler or a large serrated knife.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes in ascending order, leveled side down, with a thin layer of yellow frosting in between the cake layers.
- Crumb coat the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Place the remaining yellow frosting in a piping bag fitted with a grass piping tip and create long strands by piping the frosting from the bottom to the top.
- Take your dark yellow fondant and create flower shapes.
- Roll out your light yellow fondant into a thin circle, about 10" in diameter. Cut the edges into a zigzag and makes small holes around the edges. Place the fondant flowers on top of it using water as an adhesive.
- Layer the light yellow fondant on top of the cake.
- Place the doll in the middle of the cake and wrap a thick strip of red fondant around the waist to cover the seems.
Written By Rosanna Pansino