April 26, 2021
Mortal Kombat Cake
Things you'll needIngredients
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons red food coloring
- Fondant: Yellow, grey
- Food coloring: Red, black yellow
- Turkish black pedal dust
- Airbrush color: pearl sheen
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream and milk until smooth.
- In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and mixing between each. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk mixture into the butter mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix in red food coloring until desired color.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake about 30-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool and level the cakes to 1-inch tall.
Time to Decorate!
- Stack and frost the cakes with a thin layer of buttercream icing.
- Roll out yellow fondant and smooth over frosted cake.
- Airbrush red coloring around the edges, top and side of the cake for red and orange effects.
- Roll out grey fondant, roll crinkled aluminum foil over it for texture. Cut out Mortal Kombat dragon symbol pieces.
- Use fondant tools to create "aged" details in dragon. Dry brush black pedal dust into cracks and crevices for details.
- Airbrush black highlights onto dragon symbol pieces. Airbrush pearl sheen for metallic & dimension effect.
- Assemble fondant pieces onto the cake with a little bit of water to act as an adhesive.
- Shape and place a fondant tongue on the cake.
Written By Rosanna Pansino