Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- White candy melts
- Light blue frosting
- Lollipop stick
- Fondant: black, white, light blue and pink
- 2 ½-inch teardrop cutter
- Small circle cutter
- Three 6” inch round baking pans (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
- Ro’s Unicorn Horn Silicone Mold
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease the three round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped dark chocolate and the coconut oil and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk, eggs and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the chocolate mixture until no dry streaks remain. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out of the pans onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Level off the top of each cake with a cake leveler or a large serrated knife.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes with a thin layer of light blue buttercream frosting in between the layers.
- Crumb coat the cake with a thin layer of frosting. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes.
- Pipe light blue frosting around the cake and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Make the horn by melting the light blue candy melts and pouring it in the unicorn horn mold. Add a lollipop stick and let it set.
- For the eyes, cut out two black circles and add a two small white circles for the eyes' reflection. Make a thin strip of black fondant and place it on top of the eyes for more detail.
- For the cheeks, cut out two circles using the pink fondant.
- For the mouth, take your black fondant and roll a thin strip and curve it to form a "U" shape.
- Stick the unicorn horn on top of the cake and add the face details using the buttercream.
Written By Rosanna Pansino