Things you'll needIngredients
- 2 ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Chocolate buttercream
- Blue and red fondant
- Cocoa Puffs Cereal
- Parchment paper
- Two 8” round cake pans
- 10” round cake board
- Round template
- Fondant rolling pin
- Bone cookie cutter
Let's get started!
Make the cakes!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line and grease the pans.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and honey until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl, and then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding in flour mixture and milk, starting and ending with flour. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Divide the batter and pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely then level the cakes.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes on a 10” round cake board with a thin layer of chocolate frosting in between each layer.
- Chill the cakes in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Place the large round template and use a knife to carve the sides on an angle to resemble a dog bowl.
- Crumb coat the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- On a flat surface sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll out the blue fondant to about ¼” thick.
- Drape the blue fondant over the cake. Smooth the fondant and cut away any excess.
- Place the small round template on top of the cake. Cut out and remove the center.
- Using the red fondant, roll two ropes that are 20” and 30” long, about ¼” thick.
- Wrap the long rope on the bottom of the bowl, trim the excess and attach with some water.
- Place the short rope on top of the cake around the rim. Trim the excess and attach with some water.
- On a flat surface, sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll out the red fondant thinly and cut out a shape using the bone cookie cutter.
- Attach the fondant bone to the center of the bowl.
- Place some cocoa puffs in the center of the bowl.
Written By Rosanna Pansino