Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pineapple extract
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- Yellow frosting
- Black, red yellow, white and pink fondant
- Three 6” round cake pans (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease 4 individual pound cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a stand mixer, beat shortening and butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Pour in the pineapple extract and beat again.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the drained crushed pineapple.
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepare pants and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let it cool completely then level off with a serrated knife.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes leveled side down, with a thin layer of frosting in between the layers.
- Cover the cake completely with yellow frosting and smooth with an offset spatula.
- For the ears, use the yellow fondant as a base and cut two surfboard shapes. Roll the black fondant and cut the same shapes but use only the tips. Place the black tips on top of the yellow pieces with water. Stick two toothpicks on the bottom. Let it air dry for 24 hours or more.
- For the eyes, cut two large circles using the black fondant and stick two small white circles for the reflection.
- For the cheeks, cut two red fondant circles. Make a small "U" shape for the nose using black fondant.
- Take the pink and black fondant to make a big "U" shape for the mouth.
- Stick the ears on top of the cake. Attach the fondant pieces using a little bit of frosting
Written By Rosanna Pansino