A delicious Vanilla Almond Sugar Cookie recipe from the Nerdy Nummies Cookbook mighty morphed into Power Rangers Cookies!
Makes 4 dozen
Things you'll need
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Circle cookie cutter
- Cookie sheet lined with parchment
- Rolling pin
- Plastic wrap
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond meal, flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one a time, mixing and scraping in between each addition, and then add extracts.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 2 discs, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick and then use a cookie cutter to cut out circles.
- Place the cookies onto lined cookie sheets and bake for 12 to 13 minutes.
- Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheets and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to Decorate!
- With a #2 tip, outline each cookie in a different color of royal icing and then let them dry for a few minutes.
- Use a # 4 tip to fill in each cookie with the same color as its outline.
- Use your fingers to flatten out bits of yellow fondant and then use the small end of a #12 tip to cut out circles. Pinch two sides of each circle to make it an oval.
- Roll out black fondant and cut out mini football shapes (PICTURE at 4:29). Cut off the pointed ends of the footballs.
- Paint each of the yellow ovals bronze and then use royal icing to attach each oval to a black “football”.
- Roll out white fondant and cut out small squares. Use a fondant roller to cut out white belts.
- Arrange the fondant pieces on top of each cookie and then use a circular cookie cutter to cut the excess fondant (PICTURE at 5:58). Remove the excess.
- TaDa! Go Go Power Ranger Cookies!