Things you'll needIngredients
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Royal icing: White and green
- Food color: Red and green
- Red pearl sprinkles
- M&Ms: red and green
- 2-inch square cookie cutter
- 1 1/4-inch square cookie cutter
- Piping bags
- Pining tips: #349 leaf tip, #46 basket weave tip
Let's get started!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour baking soda, and salt until combined.
- In a large bowl, using the hand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the egg and egg yolk to the butter mixture, mix until combined. Then add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour in two additions, mixing after each addition.
- Split the dough in half, using the food coloring color one half red and the other green.
- Wrap the doughs in plastic wrap, chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven 350F.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 2-inch squares out of all the dough and place them on the prepared pans. Cut out the centers of half the squares with the 1 1/4-inch square cookie cutter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool completely.
Let's get started!
- Assemble present: Using the white royal icing to attach cookies. Stack 2 hollow cookies squares on top of one solid cookie. Fill the inside with M&Ms and attach a full cookie on top. Let the cookie present harden for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Using the white royal icing fitted with a #46 basket weave tip to pipe ribbon decoration on the top and sides of each present.
- Using the green royal icing fitted with a #349 leaf tip, pipe leaves on the top center. With the green icing still wet, place a few red pearl sprinkles in the center of the leaves. Let the cookies harden at room temperature for 1 hour.
Written By Rosanna Pansino