Things you'll needIngredients
- 3 apples, shredded
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 ¼ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- Buttercream frosting
- Blue fondant
- Light blue fondant
- Gold food coloring
- Princess cake pan (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
- 11 ½-inch-tall doll
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease the princess cake pans.
- Toss the shredded apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and whisk in the sugar, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry and fold in the shredded apples.
- Fill each pan two-thirds full of batter (about 3 ½ cups each pan) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan and then remove to a rack to cool to room temperature.
- Level off the top of each cake with a cake leveler or a large serrated knife.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes in ascending order, leveled side down, with a thin layer of frosting in between the cake layers.
- Crumb coat the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- On a flat surface sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll out the dark blue fondant to a 16-inch round,1/4 inch thick.
- Drape the fondant over the cake and form ruffles on the bottom of the dress.
- Using the light blue fondant, roll out another 14-inch disk and place it on top of the first layer. Make a slit in the middle and form ruffles.
- Take a strip of the blue fondant and cover half of the doll's torso.
- Cut a thin strip of the light blue fondant and wrap it around the dolls shoulders. Add some ruffle details on it using a sharp fondant tool or a toothpick.
- Make small diamond shapes with light blue fondant and outline with some gold food coloring. Use a little bit of water to attach it to the doll's top.
- Stick the doll in the middle of the cake and wrap around a thick strip of fondant to cover the seams.
Written By Rosanna Pansino