Things you'll needIngredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Food coloring: orange and green gel
- Egg white
- Long cake pip stick or chopstick
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- Stand mixer
Let's get started!
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and the sugar, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, salt and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- While mixing on a low speed, gradually add the flour. Mix until combined.
- Form dough into a circle on your counter. Cut the circle in half and set aside the first portion of dough.
- Remove 1 rounded tablespoon from the 2nd portion of dough, and color the tablespoon of dough green with the food coloring.
- Using the stand mixer, mix the 2nd portion of the dough with orange food color and the pumpkin pie spice.
- Shape the orange cookie dough into a 10" long log on a piece of plastic wrap. Press the long cake pop stick into the top to create an indent. Shape the green cookie dough into a 10" long strip on a piece of plastic wrap, and pinch along the top of the strip. Put both doughs in the fridge until firm, about 1 hour.
- Once the doughs are firm, brush the indent in the orange dough with the egg white and place the green dough with the pinched side facing down. Put the pumpkin log in the freezer.
- Using the 1st portion of plain dough, remove a golf ball sized scoop and set aside. Roll out the larger portion of dough between two pieces of plastic into a 10" x 5" rectangle.
- Remove the pumpkin log from the freezer and brush all over with egg white. Using the golf ball sized dough, fill in the gaps around the green stem. Then place the pumpkin log on the rectangle of dough and roll up tightly. Put the finished log into the fridge until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Once the dough is firm, slice into 1/4" slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, bake for 10-12 minutes.
Written By Rosanna Pansino