December 04, 2018
Ready to Pop! Caramel Corn
Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- Large pot with a lid
- Small heavy-bottomed pan (do not use a nonstick pan)
- Candy thermometer
- Treat bags
- Pink and blue ribbons
- “Ready to Pop!” stickers (template on RosannaPansino.com)
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat for 1 to 3 minutes. Add the oil and heat for 10 seconds, then add 3 popcorn kernels.
- Once the kernels pop, add the remaining kernels. Cover with a lid and gently shake the pot to coat the kernels with the oil. When popping begins, gently shake the pot continuously over the heat until the popping begins to slow, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the popcorn to a large heatproof bowl.
- In a small heavy-bottomed pan fitted with a candy thermometer, combine the butter, sugar, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat to 275F.
- Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the vanilla, salt and baking soda.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread the caramel corn onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until the caramel begins to darken, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately stir the caramel corn on the baking sheet. Let cool.
Time to decorate!
- Package the caramel corn in treat bags.
- Tie the bags with ribbon and stick on “Ready to Pop!”
Written By Rosanna Pansino