Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Made a cake to look like Spongebob's House on Nerdy Nummies with a delicious pineapple pound cake.
Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pineapple extract
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- Buttercream frosting
- Fondant: yellow, green, light blue, dark blue, pink, purple
- Orange petal dust
- Optional: crushed graham cracks (sand)
- Pineapple crown: roll out the green fondant 1/8" thick; cut out 12 leaves. Place inside bowl and let dry completely for curved shape. Once dry, attach a toothpick at the bottom with a little water and another piece of green fondant.
- Door: roll out the blue fondant and cut out door shape. Cut out and attach a trim around the door, 13 small circles and sailor wheel details and assemble using a little bit of water as adhesive.
- Windows: roll out light blue fondant to 1/4" thick. Cut two 1.5" circles and cut out the middle and make 8 small circles. Roll out sky blue fondant and cut out two 1.5" circles and attach the large circle for a window outline and the circles on top for detail.
- Chimney: roll out the light blue fondant to about 2" long log. Shape into an "L" and insert a toothpick in the bottom.
- Flowers: roll the yellow, green, purple and pink fondant in thin 5" long ropes and shape into flowers.
Let's get started!
- Preheat the over to 325F. Line and grease five 6" round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a stand mixer, beat shortening and butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Pour in the pineapple extract and beat again.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the drained crushed pineapple.
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cakes cool and level with a serrated knife.
Assemble the cake:
- Stack the cakes with a thin layer of frosting between each layer on an 8" cake board. Add dowels of straws after the third layer and place a 4" cake board on top.
- Place cake in fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Using a knife, carve the cakes to form an oval or pineapple shape.
- Crumb coat the cake and smooth with an offset spatula.
Time to decorate!
- Roll out the yellow fondant to about 1/4" thick. Cover the cake completely and trim the excess.
- Using thin bamboo skewers, gently press against the fondant to make pineapple line details creating diamond patterns.
- Use the end of a stick to add circles in each diamond.
- Using orange petal dust, carefully trace along the lines using a paintbrush.
- Use frosting to attach fondant doors and windows.
- Stick on the chimney on the side and leaves on the top of the cake.
- Assemble the flowers next to the pineapple.
- Optional: sprinkle crushed graham crackers around the base for sand.
Written By Rosanna Pansino