Things you'll needIngredients
- 4 large strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- Heavy cream (for brushing)
- Granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
- 3-inch star cookie cutter
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the berry scones: Cut the strawberries into slices 1/8 inch thick and set aside with the blueberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, ½ cup heavy cream and vanilla.
- In a stand mixer, on low speed mix the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and cubed butter until a coarse meal forms.
- Slowly add the cream mixture until the dough holds together when pinched.
- Using your hands, gently mix the blueberries and strawberry slices into the dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough out to a disk 1 inch thick.
- Cut scones using the star cookie cutter and place the scones on the baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Dip the cutter in flour in between cuts.
- Top the scones: Brush the scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake until the scones turn golden brown at the points, 24 to 26 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- In a small bow, whisk together the powdered sugar and hot water until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing over the scones.
- Let the icing harden for 5 minutes before serving.
Written By Rosanna Pansino