Things you'll needWhite Cake
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 10 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 sticks (16 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- Pinch salt
- Fondant: black and gold
- Gold luster dust
- Gel food coloring
- Pinch of salt
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line two half sheet cake pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter and shortening until creamy, add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites to butter mixture, beat until well combined. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 20 minutes, then put in fridge for an hour.
- While cakes are cooling, make the Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites and sugar. Whisk over a double boiler until the mixture reaches 160F.
- Whip egg mixture on high until a stuff, glossy meringue forms and the bowl is no warmer than body temperature. About 5-8 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and add the pinch of salt and butter, slowly one cube at a time. Once all the butter is added, let mix on low for 5 minutes until buttercream is smooth.
- Ice and stack cake on half sheet cake board.
- Cover board and sides of cake with black fondant. Let chill completely.
Time to Decorate!
- Using a reference photo, color buttercream with gel food coloring to match The Starry Night palette. Put all the colors into piping bags.
- Trace outline of painting on top of cake with toothpick.
- Fill in background colors of painting, spread flat with offset spatula or palette knives.
- Add accent colors using piping bags, and create texture using palette knives.
- Make a gold frame by rolling out 4 strips of gold colored fondant, decorating them with embellishments made from silicon molds. Let dry completely.
- Paint frame with the gold luster dust mixed with extract or vodka.
- Place frame on top of cake.
Written By Rosanna Pansino