Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, soften
- 1 1/2 teaspoons egg, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- Food coloring: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple
- 1 cup buttercream frosting
- Food coloring: pink, purple, blue, black
- Gold luster dust
- Clear extract or vodka
- 6 1" round silicon baking molds
- 1" silicon unicorn horn mold
- Decorating tips: #13, #1, #3, #46
- White fondant
- Tylose powder (optional)
- Cornstarch, for dusting
- On a surface sprinkled with cornstarch, knead a grape size piece of fondant with 1/4 teaspoon tylose powder.
- Ears: roll out a pinch of fondant and cut a circle with the back of a piping tip. Cut the circle in half, and pinch one side to shape the ears.
- Horn: press fondant into silicon horn mold. Pop out and let dry completely.
- Once dried, mix the gold luster dust with a few drops of clear extract and paint the unicorn horn and center of the ears with a small paintbrush.
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the round silicon molds.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the fry ingredients to the batter, mix until combined.
- Mix in the milk.
- Separate batter into 6 bowls (1 heaping teaspoon per bowl). Use a toothpick to add color to each bowl: pink, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.
- Pour batters into the molds, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when touched. Cool cakes in the fridge.
Time to decorate!
- Level the chilled cakes.
- Stack the cakes starting with the purple layer, piping a thin layer of buttercream between each. Freeze cake for 10 minutes.
- Crumb coat the cake with a thin layer of buttercream, then chill in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Using buttercream fitted with a #46 tip, pipe buttercream evenly over the entire cake. Smooth the buttercream with a small spatula.
- Tint remaining buttercream pink, purple, blue and black. Scoop pink and purple into piping bags fitted with #13 decorating tips, blue into a piping bag with a #3 tip and the black into a piping bag with a #1 tip.
- Mane: Using the pink, purple and blue buttercream, pipe rosettes, stars and dots with the pink along the top of the cake and draping down the back.
- Eyes: Pipe eyes on the front of the cake.
- Place horn and ears on top of the cake.
Written By Rosanna Pansino