Angry Unikitty Cake
Things you'll needIngredients
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Buttercream frosting (white, yellow, orange, red and gray)
- Red candy melts
- Food coloring: Red, orange, yellow, gray
- Fondant: black, red, gray, yellow and white
- Three 6-inch square cake pans (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
- Unicorn Horn mold (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line and grease the square cake pans.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Level off the top of each cake with a cake leveler or a large serrated knife.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes leveled side down, with a thin layer of white frosting in between the cake layers.
- Starting with the yellow frosting pipe about 2 inches around the cake evenly.
- Add another 2 inches of orange frosting, then the red and the gray. Cover the top of the cake with gray frosting.
- Smooth with an offset spatula.
- For the eyes, cut two large black circles of fondant, followed by smaller circles of white and red. Layer it by using water as an adhesive.
- Using the orange fondant, make a fire design and place on top of the eye layers and add another small circle of black fondant. Add little strips of black fondant for the eyelashes.
- For the mouth, use the white fondant for the teeth and make different sizes triangles. Place it on a piece of black fondant.
- For the ears, use the red fondant and make a thick triangle shape. Add two toothpicks on the bottom and let it set for 24 hours or more.
- Make the horn by melting the red candy melts and pouring it into the silicone unicorn horn mold. Add a lollipop stick and let it set.
- Attach the eyes, mouth and other fondant details using the buttercream. Stick the ears and horn on top of the cake.
Written By Rosanna Pansino