Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Buttercream frosting; white and pink
- Blue candy melts
- Food coloring: Red, orange, yellow, gray
- Fondant: black, white, light blue, light pink and dark pink
- Three 6-inch square cake pans (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
- Unicorn Horn mold (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease three 6-inch square cake pans and line the bottoms with rounds of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and almond extract.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter among the three pans evenly.
- Pour the batter into the pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Level off the tops with a cake leveler or a large serrate knife to create three 1-inch-tall layers.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes leveled side down, with a thin layer of white frosting in between the cake layers.
- Cover the bottom half of the cake with white frosting then cover the tops half with pink frosting. Smooth with an offset spatula.
- For the eyes, cut two large black circles of fondant, followed by smaller circles of white and light blue. Layer it by using water as an adhesive.
- Add another small circle of black fondant and a white circle for the eye's reflections. Add little strips of black fondant for the eyelashes.
- For the mouth, use the dark pink fondant to make a big "U" shape and a small pink oblong for the tongue. Place the tongue on top of the base.
- For the ears, use the pink fondant and make a thick triangle shape. Add two toothpicks on the bottom and let it set for 24 hours or more.
- Make the horn by melted the blue candy melts and pouring it into the silicone unicorn horn mold. Add a lollipop stick and let it set.
- Attach the eyes, mouth and other fondant details using the buttercream. Stick the ears and horn on top of the cake.
Written By Rosanna Pansino