Things you'll needIngredients
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 batch Royal Icing
- Food coloring: yellow, orange and black
- Pink or blue pearl sprinkles
- Duck cookie cutter
- Decorating tips: #3, three #2
Let's get started!
- Make the cream cheese sugar cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the whole egg and egg yolk one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until combined.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut out 42 cookies using the duck cookie cutter. Cut out the center from one-third of the cookies. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Freeze the cookies for 15 minutes.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch but not browned at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Make the royal icing, Scoop three-quarters of the icing into a bowl, tint yellow, then scoop into a decorating bag fitted with a #3 tip.
- Divide the remaining among 3 bowl. Tint one bowl black, one orange, and leave on untinted. Scoop the icings into separate decorating bags fitted with #2 tips.
- Using the yellow icing, outline half the full (uncut) cookies, skipping the beak. Fill in the centers and let dry completely. Pipe wing details.
- Pipe beaks with the orange icing.
- Pipe eyes with the white icing. Once dry, pipe pupils with the black icing.
- Pipe icing around the edge of a full undecorated cookie and stack a cutout cookie on top. Fill with sprinkles. Pipe icing around the edge and stack a decorated cookie on top. Press to seal.
Written By Rosanna Pansino